Can a moldy basement really make you sick?

The answer is yes, it can. Infectious diseases are caused by organisms including bacteria, fungi, parasites, and viruses. Really, that’s exactly what mold is—bacteria and fungus. It’s not pleasant, and it’s not healthy.

Damp, indoor spaces breed mold.

Mold is a destructive force. When mold is actively growing, it is actively feeding on and breaking down the material it lives on, such as your basement. This is why it’s so structurally important to make sure the mold in your basement is cleaned out. But more importantly, mold is bad for your family’s health. If you have a moldy basement, you are at risk for sickness that affects your respiratory system. These include coughs, asthma, nose and throat issues, and shortness of breath. But it doesn’t stop there—you could suffer from physical concerns such as headaches and skin irritations as well.

Concerned about mold in your basement?

Call (800) 439-4951

Or click here for help:
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, maybe it’s time to check your basement.

There are many reasons a person may suffer from these types of symptoms. But, if you’ve noticed an increase in these types of problems, especially during a particularly humid season, it might be smart to check if there is mold in your basement. The air in your basement circulates throughout the entire house, so even if you don’t use it often, your family can be getting sick from the contaminated air.

How do I fix a damp, moldy basement and clean the air in my home?

Help avoid sickness caused by mold by first ensuring that your basement is waterproofed against outside water seepage or leaks.

Second, make sure to insulate any water pipes that may cause condensation and moisture.

Third, if you do laundry in the basement, ensure it is well ventilated so the hot, humid air doesn’t create the perfect place for mold to grow.

And last, call Basement Waterproofing. We have proven, warrantied solutions that will ensure your basement stays dry and your family can breathe easier.


Basement Waterproofing is certified in whole-home humidification systems that regulate temperature and moisture levels in the air. No buckets to empty, no filters to change. Your energy bills stay low and your family enjoys cleaner air for years to come.

Don't let a wet basement impact your health.

Talk to our waterproofing experts and keep your basement dry for life, guaranteed.

    BBB Accredited and satisfaction guaranteed